A brief history of the Bayport-Blue Point Public Library...
Founded in 1938 as a Blue Point P.T.A. project, the Blue Point Public Library began
with a collection of donated books. Tradition has it that these books were gathered
by wheelbarrow from the home of local residents (hence our logo). The library's
first home was a small room in the Blue Point School. Later sites included part
of the building now occupied by the Blue Point Liquor Store, a small house on the
corner of Madison Street, now replaced by the dentist's office, and the Bennett
House on Blue Point Avenue.
In 1957, a new building was constructed directly behind Bennett house, which was
subsequently torn down. (Oddly enough, there was a hot debate as to whether the
new building should face Blue Point Avenue or Madison Street. Now, 33 years later,
we have entrances on both streets.) The present building, the result of two additions,
is nearly three times the size of the 1957 building.
When the Bayport and Blue Point school districts joined forces in 1952, the library
became the Bayport-Blue Point Public Library. Until 1970, the library was staffed
entirely by volunteers, one of the last all-volunteer libraries in the state.
The present character of the library owes much to those early volunteers, whose
dedication and expertise laid a solid foundation for the book collection and the
philosophy of community service. Over the years, the library has grown in size and
sophistication. Today it offers not only books, but videotapes, compact discs, and
recorded books as well. A well-staffed reference department, equipped with up-to-date
computer communication, is able to retrieve from many sources outside the library
walls. With its meeting rooms offering a broad range of public programs, the library
has become a cultural center of rare quality for a community of this size, and one
in which the local citizens can take great pride.